Consider an ordinance calling the City of Baytown Municipal Election to be held on November 3, 2020, for the purpose of electing three Council Members from Single-Member District Nos. 4, 5 and 6.
This ordinance calls the City of Baytown Municipal Election to be held on November 3, 2020, for the purpose of electing three Council Members from Single-Member District Nos. 4, 5 and 6.
Because the general election is in November, the City must contract with Harris County and Chambers County for election services; thus, many of the details regarding the election have not been finalized at this time. However, below is a list of important dates that we do have regarding the upcoming election that will be helpful to the public:
Please note that the candidate packet for this election is now available in the City Clerk's Office for pickup (USB flash drive), as well as, on the City's website where it can be downloaded by individual forms or as an entire packet at: http://www.baytown.org.
- The first day to file for a place on the ballot is July 18, 2020; however, since this day falls on a Saturday, the first day to file will be the following Monday, July 20, 2020, during regular office hours, with the City Clerk (the Mayor's designee).
- The last day to file for a place on the ballot is Monday, August 17, 2020.
- The last day to order a general election is Monday, August 17, 2020.
- The candidate drawing for positions on the ballot will take place on Monday, August 17, 2020, at 5:15 p.m. in City Hall.
- The last day to file a declaration of write-in candidacy is Friday, August 21, 2020.
- Early voting by personal appearance will take place from Monday, October 19 through Friday, October 30, 2020, Notice of branch early voting schedule will be posted as soon as that information is received.
- The election results will be canvassed no later than November 17, 2020.
- The election runoff date, should one be necessary, is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, December 8, 2020, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. or as deemed appropriate by Harris County.